Re: 6-hour climatologies

From: Carl Schreck <cjschrec_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Sep 17 2013 - 07:58:30 MDT

Hi MIke,

The clmDayTLL function does work with 6-hourly data. It will just bin all
the data for each data together. For example, when calculating the
climatology for Jan. 1, it will simply average the 00z, 06z, 12z, and 18z
obs for all the Jan. 1s in your dataset. For my applications, that's fine,
since climatology shouldn't really change on sub-daily scales.

The one caveat is if your data has a strong diurnal cycle. That cycle will
show up as anomalies from climatology, which may or may not be ideal. If
you want to filter that out, you can use cd_calendar along with ind to
identify all the 00z times and make a 00z climatology. Then repeat for the
other times.

Hope that helps.

    Carl

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Michael Ventrice <mventrice@wsi.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to calculate 6-hour climatologies of surface temperature and
> am wondering if there is a script to help with this? I have realized that
> using the clmDayTLL function is just for daily-averaged fields.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> --
> * Michael J. **Ventrice, Ph.D. *