pdfx function

From: Cecille Villanueva <cvillanu_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Oct 02 2013 - 09:41:25 MDT

Hello ncl-talk,

   I am trying to make pdfs of vertical velocities at different heights within a cloud where the cloud mixing ratio exceeds 1 g/kg. I have specified the bin_spacing, the bin_boundaries and the number of bins. From my understanding the pdfx function should ignore missing values and obtain these attributes. However, when I run the script, is like those attributes are not passed when the pdfs are calculated and I get the following error,

(0) pdfx: nGood=0 : Need more non-missing points
warning:Attempt to reference attribute (bin_min) which is undefined
(0) -2147483647
warning:Attempt to reference attribute (bin_center) which is undefined
(0) gsn_csm_xy: Fatal: X and Y must have the same dimensions sizes, or one must be one-dimensional and both have the same rightmost dimension.
fatal:CheckArray:Each vector in the caXArray array must have at least 2 elements
fatal:CoordArraysInitialize:caXArray resource is invalid
fatal:Unable to initialize layer-Can't Create
fatal:Unable to access object with id:-4
fatal:PID #-4 can't be found in NhlSetValues
fatal:PID #-4 can't be found in NhlSetValues
fatal:Unable to access object with id:-4
warning:Unable to add DataItem "(null)" to DataList "xyCoordData"
fatal:CompileDataList:DataList has no valid members
fatal:Unable to access object with id:-4
warning:Unable to add DataItem "(null)" to DataList "xyCoordData"
fatal:CompileDataList:DataList has no valid members
fatal:Argument type mismatch on argument (0) of (attsetvalues_check) can not coerce
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 10802 in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4837 in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 188 in file WRF_pdf.ncl

The part of the script that does the calculation is shown below.

;------------------------------------------------
; Plot each PDF
;------------------------------------------------
opt = True
delt_bin = 1
opt@bin_spacing = delt_bin
max_ws = 30
min_ws= -30
opt@bin_min = min_ws
opt@bin_max = max_ws
nbins = floattointeger((max_ws - min_ws)/delt_bin)

; nTot_bins = new( nbins, "double")
; nTot_bins = nTot

;print(nTot_bins)

 w1 = new((/num_vert,num_horiza,num_horizb/), float, getFillValue(w))

 w1 = where(qc.ge.0.0001,w,w@_FillValue)
; w1 = where(qc.ge.0.0001,w,0)
;print(w1)
  ap = pdfx(w1(level,:,:), nbins, opt)
print(ap@bin_min)

;print(ap)

; ap = where(nTot_bins.ne.0.,100d0*pdf/nTot_bins,0) ; CMV - percent frequency

 ; nVar = 3
 ; plot = new ( nVar, "graphic")

; wks = gsn_open_wks ("pdf","w_pdf")

  res = True
; res@gsnDraw = False
; res@gsnFrame = False
  res@xyLineThicknessF = 2
  res@tiYAxisString = "PDF (%)"
; res@tiYAxisString = "PDF (Frequency)"
  res@tiMainString = timelabl(it)+", "+z_avg(level)+" km"

  res@gsnCenterString = "Univariate PDF: Normal"
  plot = gsn_csm_xy (wks, ap@bin_center, ap, res)

    end do

Why is it that when I print the bin_min it comes as -2147483647 and not -30 as I specified above?

The w variable is set to a missing value when this threshold is not met so the 0 m/s data points don't go into the pdf. I also ran the script changing contributed.ncl to make pdf = 0 when only missing values were encountered and I get the same error. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need the whole script and data file.

Cheers,
Cecille