Paneling attached plots

From: Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Oct 24 2013 - 14:12:13 MDT

Hi all,

I've been working on what I thought would be a relatively simple task, but
it appears I've run into some complications. My goal was to attach an XY
plot with 3 different variables plotted to the right side of a
gsn_csm_contour plot. I've done this before and it works great, much akin
to the sample code #10 under paneling (see
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/panel_10.ncl). However, my
issues begin when I try to create a 3-panel figure of these attached plots.
While the attaching process works fine, I get the error (included below) at
the gsn_csm_panel call. The paneling works just fine if I double the number
of panels and plot the XY plot and the contour plots separately in their
own panels (see link below).

Is there an internal limitation that prevents the paneling of multiple
attached plots, or have I done something wrong along the way? I can provide
the moderately simple script and FTP the necessary data files if that might
be useful to someone's cause here. Any advice would be appreciated here.

Thanks!

Kyle Griffin

Image with each in separated panels, no attach attempted:
http://marrella.meteor.wisc.edu/~ksgriffin2/npac/temp/metric_0.png

Error code: (note - the last call to line 199 is simply the call to
gsn_csm_panel).
fatal:Invalid plot ID=189 passed to NhlGetBB
warning:pmOverlaySequenceIds isn't a resource in this object
warning:NhlGetValues:Error retrieving pmOverlaySequenceIds
fatal:["Execute.c":8470]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 1726 in
file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8470]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 6424 in
file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8470]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 7123 in
file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8470]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 199 in
file panel_hov_interact.ncl

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2@wisc.edu