Problems with filled EPS files in Illustrator

From: Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Nov 14 2013 - 14:37:23 MST

Hi everyone,

I know this might be a little far away from typical postings on ncl-talk,
but I wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences as what we're seeing
here with respect to EPS files.

In the directory: http://marrella.meteor.wisc.edu/~ksgriffin2/npac/temp/

Three pairs of files exist. Each pair is a filled and non-filled map north
polar stereographic map with the complete Northern Hemisphere plotted.
The pair "subtrop_map.eps" and "subtrop_map_fill.eps" are made with
mpDataBaseVersion = "MediumRes" and mpDataSetName = "Earth..4"
The identically-named pdf files are made in the same manner.
The pair "subtrop_map_def.eps" and "subtrop_map_def_fill.eps" are made
without either of those two resources being set.

While some programs (ggv, MacOS Preview) can handle displaying and/or
converting all six of these files just fine, Adobe Illustrator (a popular
post-processing tool for figure preparation), does not handle the largest
"subtrop_map_fill.eps" at all. Further, in "subtrop_map_fill.pdf", the
filled land contour of southern Europe is cut off as seen in the screenshot
"europe_ai.png" that is also in the web directory. I've included the
simple-ish script that I used to make the plots below.

It's certainly not anyone's primary goal to determine why certain
NCL-generated files don't properly render in some programs but do in
others, but I was curious what, if any, experiences others had with this
issue. The error is independent of any of the addition wk resources I've
added at the bottom and performs the same on 6.1.2 and a 6.2.0 build I have
from 16 July.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Kyle

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"

begin

  outfile = "subtrop_map_def_fill"
; Plotting graphics here

  res = True
; res@mpDataBaseVersion = "MediumRes"
; res@mpDataSetName = "Earth..4"
  res@gsnPolar = "NH"
  res@mpMinLatF = 0.0
  res@gsnAddCyclic = True
; res@mpProjection = "Orthographic"
  res@mpPerimOn = True
  res@mpOutlineOn = True
  res@mpGeophysicalLineColor = "red"
  res@mpFillOn = True
  res@mpLandFillColor = "green"
  ;res@mpOceanFillColor =
  ;res@mpInlandWaterFillColor =
  res@mpCenterLonF = 0.
  res@mpCenterLatF = 90.
  res@mpGridLatSpacingF = 15
  res@mpGridLonSpacingF = 45
  res@mpGridLineColor = "blue"
  res@mpGridLineDashPattern = 0
  res@gsnMajorLatSpacing = res@mpGridLatSpacingF
  res@gsnMajorLonSpacing = res@mpGridLonSpacingF

  wksType = "eps"
  wksType@wkBackgroundOpacityF = 0.0
  wksType@wkWidth = 3000
  wksType@wkHeight = 3200

  wks = gsn_open_wks(wksType,outfile)
  plot = gsn_csm_map_polar(wks,res)

  delete(wks)

end

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2@wisc.edu