Re: contour plots

From: Marston Johnston <shejo284_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Nov 14 2013 - 05:09:06 MST

Hi Caspar,

I've plotted the fig again and this time with the same x-axis length. It
looks like the contour squares crossed the cell boundaries, which is ok,
but they end in the middle of a cell, that to me seems strange. Do you see
this happening in the fig attached?
I've tried using "cellfill" instead of "rasterfill" and the cell fill shows
cells smaller than the bins. Strange?

/M

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Caspar Ammann <ammann@ucar.edu> wrote:

> I think if you set the x-axis the same for all plots, you might see that
> the ticks are treated equally in all plots. The only difference I see in
> your image is between the top row and the ones below, but looking more
> closely: all of the grids line up with the bins just fine, there are just
> many more bins in the top figures.
>
> Caspar Ammann
> RAL - Climate Science and Applications Program
>
> On Nov 14, 2013, at 4:32 AM, Marston Johnston <shejo284@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an array that is time vs rain rates and the cell size of this
> array is 1 x 1, i.e., the
> > time axis runs from 0 to 24 at every hour and the rain rates axis runs
> from 0 to 60 at every 1 mm/hr. When I plot this array with gsn_csm_contour
> I get pixels that do not match up with the bins size (ticks on the axis),
> giving the impression that the contour plots using shifted bins or
> something like that.
> >
> > I've attached the image. I would appreciate some help in understanding
> what NCL is doing.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > /M
> > ncl-talk mailing list