Re: calculation of drag coefficient ...

From: Ufuk Utku Turuncoglu (BE) <u.utku.turuncoglu_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Dec 10 2013 - 00:35:37 MST

Thanks! I implemented it and you can find the code as follows. It does
not have proper error checking mechanisms but it could be used as a
base. In this case, i used the code from airsea Matlab toolbox and
reimplemented it in NCL.

undef("cdnlp")
function cdnlp(sp[*]:numeric, z:numeric)
begin
   kappa = 0.4
   tol = 0.001
   a = log(z/10.0)/kappa

   cd = sp
   cd = 1.15e-3
   u10 = sp/(1.0+a*sqrt(cd))
   u10o = sp*0.0

   ii = (abs(u10-u10o) .gt. tol)
   do while(any(ii))
     u10o = u10
     cd = 4.9e-4+6.5e-5*u10o
     cd = where(u10o .lt. 10.15385, 1.15e-3, cd)
     u10 = sp/(1.0+a*sqrt(cd))
     ii = (abs(u10-u10o) .gt. tol)
   end do

   opt = True