Re: printVarSummary question

From: Marston Johnston <shejo284_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Dec 05 2013 - 08:47:12 MST

Hi Dennis,

I understand the time constraints when it comes to large variables. I was
not aware of stat_dispersion, however, which is a great function for me and
better than printMinMax. I'll be using this function more often. I'm happy
with this.
Thanks for considering my suggestion.

/M

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Dennis Shea <shea@ucar.edu> wrote:

> re: printVarSummary, min/max
>
> If you are using small arrays, determining the min/max
> would impose a small time increment. However, a *LARGE* variable
> will take a significant time. There is no magic! The min and max
> require time. If there are lots of variable ... the min/max overhead
> would be large.
>
> There is a ticket for printVarStats function which would allow a user
> to specify what statistics would be output.
>
> ALso .. please see
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/stat_dispersion.
> shtml
>
> opt = True
> opt@PrintStat = True
> statb = stat_dispersion(b, opt )
>

> On 12/5/13, 7:47 AM, Marston Johnston wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a fan and admirer of NCL and the support one recieves with this
>> software.
>> I use NCL more and more and like to make a suggestion.
>> The printVarSummary summarises a variable but, if the variable is an
>> array,
>> it does
>> not return a max and min of the array, providing the array is numeric. I
>> understand that this procedure handles all kind of variables; I just feel
>> that it could be enhanced if it also returned max and min if the variable
>> is numeric, returns the value if it is
>> scalar, etc., and truly summerizes the variable.
>>
>> Kindest regards,
>> /M

Only the fruitful thing is true!