creating netCDF file - time variable/dimension

From: Greg Thompson <gthompsn_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Dec 19 2013 - 09:03:20 MST

Hi all,

With respect to creating one's own netCDF file using NCL, I am following the advice documented here:
  http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/method_2.shtml

But, my problem is that I don't have an open existing file with a time variable. I have no idea what to do to "dummy-up" the "time" variable in an appropriate way to create a valid netCDF file. In the documentation, if there was an Example3 including what to do from an even lower level if you don't have a file to copy a bunch of attributes, then it would greatly help. I tried in my script to just set a scalar, integer variable by name time with value=1. Hah, should have known it wasn't that simple. However, if I just skip assigning any value to a variable with that name and skip the writing of this variable, I do get a "time" variable shown in ncview application with a 1.E20 value.

THANKS!! for any advice others can offer.

--Greg