extract fields from string using multiple-space delimiter?

From: Jared Lee <jaredlee_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jan 03 2014 - 13:23:52 MST

Hi, I'm trying to parse out the fields from the column title line of a
table, which has the following format:

"Var 1 [units] Var 2 [units] Var 3 [units]"

Each column title is separated by at least two spaces, and never only
one space. However, to the best of my understanding, the functions
str_fields_count and str_get_field cannot use multiple consecutive
spaces (or multiple consecutive anything) as a delimiter, without also
couting single spaces as a delimiter. Is there any way in NCL to parse
out fields from a string using double spaces but *NOT* single spaces as
a delimiter?

Jared

--
Dr. Jared A. Lee