Re: calculate percentiles with 3-d data

From: Carl Schreck <cjschrec_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jan 03 2014 - 08:22:16 MST

Cary,

percent_to_value_2d in the attached file might do what you're looking for.
Pass it your ntime/nlat/nlon variable and the percentile you want (e.g.,
99.0), and it will return the 99th percentile value at each grid point. In
other words, a map of the 99th percentile.

Sorry for the limited documentation in that script, let me know if you have
questions.

    Carl

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <
dave.allured@noaa.gov> wrote:

> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/stat_dispersion.shtml
>
> or maybe
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2013/0954.html
>
> If neither of those is a good fit, then could you please be more specific
> about the shape or dimensionality of the result you want? Scalar
> percentiles for the entire data set taken as one large collection? 2-D
> maps of percentiles? 1-D time series of percentile statistics?
>
> --Dave
> Please include user list in all replies.
>

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Cary Lynch <lynchc6@uw.edu> wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to calculate percentile thresholds (i.e. extremes) for
>> data that is dimensioned (ntim,nlat,nlon) using NCL commands, but with no
>> luck using dim_pqsort_n. Without resorting to cdo commands, is there a way
>> to do this in NCL? I am aware of the examples given in:
>>
>> ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/system_4.ncl
>>
>> and ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2010/0945.html
>>

>> --
>> Cary Lynch

 <http://www.cicsnc.org/>
Follow CICS-NC on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc>