Re: Appropriate significant test (?)

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jan 22 2014 - 14:27:30 MST

I think your question is: "What combination of dates could be used
to a priori create a suite of dates that would yield
significant differences?"

This is not the way 'statistical tests' are done.
Usually the dates are specified a priori on the basis of some
physical situation. For climate, think El Nino & La Nina.
Then the result is tested at some confidence level specified
a priori. I think you should do the same.

If you are randomly searching for some dates the only
way I can think of is to randomly select the central dates
and place one in one category; the next in another;
perform calculations; if significant at 95% level; save the
dates.

See
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/generate_unique_indices.shtml

to generate the indices.