Re: Memory size of data in NCL script

From: Jatin Kala <jatin.kala.jk_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jan 27 2014 - 16:51:59 MST

I would be tempted to use NCO's "ncks" utility and make a bunch of smaller files, then read these in with NCL.
ALso note, netcdf libraries version 4 and above support compression
"nccopy -d 9 in_file.nc out_file.nc".
I have found in many cases, this can more than half the file size. Whether NCL needs half the memory then, i have not tested, but would assume so.
Cheers,
Jatin.