Re: Calculating tropopause height with function trop_wmo

From: Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Feb 10 2014 - 08:12:01 MST

Hi Patrick,

Just going by the WMO statement on the function's documentation page, it
looks to be working OK.

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/trop_wmo.shtml

"The first tropopause is defined as the lowest level at which

       the lapse rate decreases to 2 deg K per kilometer or less,
       provided also the average lapse rate between this level and
       all higher levels within 2 kilometers does not exceed 2 deg K."

Linked below is an image I quickly made from altering your script
which shows that above your tropopause height (in red), there is a 1km
layer with a lapse rate of over double the allowable limit (nearly
5K/km). Since no such layer is allowed within 2km above the trop_wmo
level's definition, it keeps going to a higher level that does not
contain such relatively unstable levels above it. While I do think
that the trop_wmo layer could be around 15km instead of 16km, that
might be something to look for in the function's code that Dennis sent
you. It's possible it just looks at layers using a nice even
thousand-meter increment and the unstable layer might barely go above
15km in this case.

Link to height profile version:
http://marrella.meteor.wisc.edu/~ksgriffin2/share/tlogp.png

Hope this helps some...

Kyle

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2@wisc.edu