Re: local contour

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Feb 18 2014 - 08:50:42 MST

Ahmad,

It depends on how many data points you have and what kind of smoothing you want.

If you use raster fill (res@cnFillMode = "RasterFill") you can turn on smoothing with res@cnRasterSmoothingOn = True.

We have some smoothing functions you can call. One is a 9-point smoother, "smth9":

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/smth9_Wrap.shtml

Another is a weighted area smoother, "wgt_area_smooth":'

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wgt_area_smooth.shtml

You can also try various interpolations:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/interp.shtml

--Mary