Re: Skew-T plot - Some more questions

From: BasitAli Khan <BasitAli.Khan_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2014 - 06:25:23 MDT

Thanks Dennis,
I hope other are many people working with this code could help and advise
me on this. Meanwhile i have some more questions on skew-T

1. When I try to set @linePatternCape and @colCape options other than
default color and line pattern, the skewT code simply does not accept
changes. It just plots cape on the same default color and line pattern.
Just wondering how can i change these two options?
2. The thermodynamic info is plotted under @ThermoInfo option and includes
cape, pwat, show, plcl, and tlcl. This info is plotted on top of the plot.
In my script I am comparing two soundings (model with observations) I want
to see this info for both soundings. However, the text is overlapped
because the plotting location is same. Is there some way/option that i can
use to print this info from both sounding on the same plot but at my
desired locations?
3. What does @parcel option really does?
4. @WspdWdir = False Š. Does this means that we should put it 'False'
if we are passing 'u' and 'v' to skewT_PlotData
5. What is the difference between @HspdHdir and @WspdWdir options.

I greatly appreciate any help and suggestion on the above issues.

Cheers,
b:)

----
Basit A. Khan, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Division of Physical Sciences & Engineering
Office# 3204, Level 3, Building 1,
King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
4700 King Abdullah Blvd, Box 2753, Thuwal 23955 ­6900,
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Office: +966(0)2 808 0276,  Mobile: +966(0)5 0860 3617
E-mail: basitali.khan@kaust.edu.sa
Skype name: basit.a.khan
On 3/11/14 3:16 PM, "Dennis Shea" <shea@ucar.edu> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>This is offline.
>
>I wrote the skew-t code. I used it to learn NCL.
>It was never intended for public use. Subsequently,
>I donated the code to the NCL project.
>
>NCL's Skew-T is hardwired to reproduces the 'look' of
>the USAF skew-t, log p diagram (form dod-wpc 9-16-1).
>It is not readily adapted to even minor configuration
>changes.
>
>Unfortunately, I have major project deadlines and can not
>devote time to modifying the code. Hopefully,
>'someone' will respond.
>
>Regards
>Dennis Shea
>
>On 3/11/14, 3:18 AM, BasitAli Khan wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> I want to plot Skew-T only up to 500 hPa (the default is up to 100
>>hPa). I tried to make changes in skew-T code but it distorts the entire
>>plot. I guess there are more then one places where i need to make
>>changes. I would greatly appreciate if any of our NCL experts could
>>advise some magic to fix it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> b:)
>> ----
>> Basit A. Khan, Ph.D.
>> Postdoctoral Research Fellow
>> Division of Physical Sciences & Engineering
>> Office# 3204, Level 3, Building 1,
>> King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
>> 4700 King Abdullah Blvd, Box 2753, Thuwal 23955 ­6900,
>> Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
>>
>> Office: +966(0)2 808 0276,  Mobile: +966(0)5 0860 3617
>> E-mail: basitali.khan@kaust.edu.sa<mailto:basitali.khan@kaust.edu.sa>
>> Skype name: basit.a.khan

>> This message and its contents including attachments are intended solely
>>for the original recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or
>>have received this message in error, please notify me immediately and
>>distribution is prohibited. Please consider the environment before
>>printing this email.

This message and its contents including attachments are intended solely for the original recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify me immediately and delete this message from your computer system. Any unauthorized use or distribution is prohibited. Please consider the environment before printing this email.