defining all corners of a map region

From: David B. Reusch <dreusch_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Mar 13 2014 - 10:05:01 MDT

Hello,

I am trying to make a map of a region with a rectangular shape (equal
length sides, equal length top/bottom) in polar latitudes. I would like
to define the region by the lat/lon of all four corners, not just edges
or upper left/lower right. I thought mpLimitMode = "Points" was
promising, but it's not clear from the docs that my corners can be used
as the left/right/top/bottom points and I'd get the rectangle I'm seeking.

Using other tools, I've figured out the four corners I need, from lower
left, clockwise:
75S, 135W
72.5S, 134.7W
72.16S, 117W
74.6S, 115W
I realize this is more like a trapezoid in lat/lon but if I use a
rectangle in lat/lon, the top and bottom edges are different lengths
(the joys of the higher latitudes!).

Is there any way to do this in NCL?

I've been using a trial&error approach and option LatLon for some years
now but was hoping there might be an alternative.

Thanks,
Dave

--
Associate Research Professor of Climatology
Dept of Earth and Environmental Science