Fwd: Re: Reading HDF files "The specified HDF file does not exist or can't be opened"

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Mar 10 2014 - 13:34:12 MDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Reading HDF files "The specified HDF file does
not exist or can't be opened"
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:32:56 -0800
From: James Madden <jmmadden@alaska.edu>
To: Dennis Shea <shea@ucar.edu>

Hello,

The name of the file is spelled correctly, and I even changed the name to
"file.hdf" just to make it simpler, but still I receive the same error.
The file that I am trying to access is in the same folder as the program.

pacman3 1013% ncl_filedump file.hdf
  Copyright (C) 1995-2013 - All Rights Reserved
  NCAR Command Language Version 6.1.2
  The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
  See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.

fatal:The specified HDF file (file.hdf) does not exist or can't be opened

fatal:Could not open (file.hdf)

Variable: f
Type: file
(0) File Missing Value : -1

Thank you,
Mike

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Dennis Shea <shea@ucar.edu> wrote:

> Ummm.
>
> We can look at several MY*hdf files with no problem.
>
> Aresure that you have spelled the name correctly?
>
> Are you executing ncl_filedump in one directory and the file
> is in another directory?
>

> On 3/10/14, 1:12 PM, James Madden wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been trying to read MODIS data lately, and I have been struggling
>> get my program to run.
>>
>> My response was to try to examine the file's contents through
>> ncl_filedump,
>> but I keep receiving this message:
>>
>> fatal:The specified HDF file (MYD01.A2009188.1310.006.2014069131204.hdf)
>> does not exist or can't be opened
>>
>> I have tried using other versions of NCL, but I keep running into the same
>> problem. Trying to convert to '.nc' through ncl_convert2nc does not work
>> either.
>>
>> I am sure it is a simple mistake. What am I missing here?
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>>
>> Mike
>> Call
>> Send SMS
>> Add to Skype
>> You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

*Mike Madden*
*Graduate Research Assistant *
*Department of Atmospheric Sciences *
*University of Alaska Fairbanks*
*IARC 338N*
*Office:  (907) 474-7618*
*Cell: (417)
the ticket, take the ride."  Hunter S. Thompson*