plot phase of max value

From: Sebastian Milinski <smilinski_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Mar 18 2014 - 07:52:21 MDT

Dear all,

I want to visualize the phase of the maximum of a variable. The data is sea surface temperature ([time | 12] x [lat | 260] x [lon | 1240]).
For example, if the maximum temperature in one location occurs in July, the value for this lat/lon should be 7 (in another location 3 for March and so on). Finally, I want to create a contour plot of this field with a color coding for each of the twelve months.

I would be grateful for any hint on how to realize this.

Regards,
Sebastian