Crash while writing to netcdf4

From: Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Mar 20 2014 - 11:18:10 MDT

NCL team,

I have an NCL program that consistently crashes with segmentation fault
when writing to certain large Netcdf4-classic files. This program worked
successfully for dozens of files over the past year, so I am fairly
confident in the NCL code itself.

In detail, the crashes occur when I try to append records to existing
files. The files contain a single large 4-D data variable, several smaller
ones, and an unlimited time dimension. Netcdf4 chunking and compression
are used. In one case, the file size is 89 Gb, and the seg fault occurs
when I try to quit the program, after all update data seems to be
successfully appended. I got the same behavior on two different Linux
machines and one Mac. More details on request.

As a shortcut to debugging, may I please request an interim binary copy of
NCL? I am using the current release, 6.1.2, which is over a year old. I
understand that there have been several bug fixes to the Netcdf and HDF5
libraries, so I would like to see if some of these might fix the problem.
 I need either a 64-bit Linux version, or a 64-bit Mac version, your
choice. Thank you.

--Dave