Re: Fatal Error Message

From: Jared Lee <jaredlee_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Mar 26 2014 - 13:21:18 MDT

Lisa,

Your script definitely has a problem with memory. My first guess is
that it has an array to which elements are being added in a loop, which
eventually becomes so large that its memory requirements exceed that of
your computer. Either that, or you're trying to read in large
multidimensional arrays from hundreds of files at once. Or you could
potentially have a memory leak somewhere in your script, which can
sometimes be caused by not deleting variables when they're no longer
necessary. One of those possibilities has typically been the cause of
similar situations that I've experienced in the past.

Jared

On 03/26/2014 12:56 PM, Lisa Alexander wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been running a program on my computer, but this time the case time length is very long. When I run it, it stops part way through and gives me this message:
>
> fatal:NclMalloc Failed:[errno=12]
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> I must say, whenever I run the program (this time and other times), the program runs very quickly to begin with, but slows down over time.
>
> Can somebody let me know what the error message means?
> Thanks,
> Lisa

Dr. Jared A. Lee
Postdoctoral Research Scientist