Re: Saving viewport to file

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Mar 26 2014 - 12:43:55 MDT

Hi Paul,
Unfortunately not very well at the present time. If you are okay with a square viewport you can set the vpXF to 0., vpYF to 1.0, vpWidthF to 1.0, and vpHeightF to 1.0 and save to PNG. If your plot is geographic, then NCL will by default keep the aspect ratio determined by the projection. If this is not square then you will end up with white space (actually titles and tick mark labels, etc -- although you could turn all that stuff off) above and below or left and right of the viewport. You can force the aspect ratio to the viewport dimensions you have set by setting the resource mpShapeMode to "FreeAspect". You could trim white space using a post-processing tool like ImageMagick convert.

We hope to be able to have a way to save just the viewport at any aspect ratio, hopefully along with projection information, using a format like geo-tiff. But it is still a ways off.
 -dave