Is it possible to regrid winds with regional data?

From: Wang, Yaoping <wang.3866_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Mar 16 2014 - 10:02:42 MDT

Hello all,

There are some regional winds data on fixed grids that I want to re-grid to 2.5 x 2.5 grid. The guidance told me that I should always first calculate divergence and vorticity, re-grid them, and then derive the winds from div and vor. However, it seems that NCL only provides functions to derive U-winds and V-winds from vorticity and divergence by spherical harmonics.

I am not familiar with atmospheric science at all. May I ask if it is possible to derive the winds with regional div and vor?

Alternatively, how large is the error to re-grid the winds separately and which method might be a better choice? Since I am using them separately as inputs, things like total wind speed wouldn't terribly matter, but the quality of u and v themselves shouldn't get seriously deteriorated...

Thank you so much,
Yaoping Wang