Re: JJAS mean monsoon rainfall

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Apr 09 2014 - 07:21:43 MDT

Hello,

This is **not** an official NCL supported function.
It is a user donated function.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2010/att-2195/season.ncl

You should carefully check the code.

function season_from_month (xMon:numeric, seastart:numeric, \
                            ,seaend:numeric, season:string)

The function has four arguments.

Arg1 : Numeric type variable carry Data with dimension 1 or 3 or 4
Arg2 : Numeric type variable carry Season starting month
Arg3 : Numeric type variable carry Season ending month
Arg4 : String type variable carry the name of the season
        ^^^^^^^
        *******
The last argument should be a string. The function call should be
     xSea = season_from_month (xMon, 6, 9, "JJAS")

Also, you should check the way seastart and seaend are used inside the
function. Yes ... 6 corresponds to June, 7=>July, 8=>August, 9=>Sept
but in terms of NCL subscripting, the indexing would be 5 to 8

    sea1 = seastart-1
    sea2 = seaend-1

Good luck