Re: High resolution in graphics

From: Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Apr 07 2014 - 13:56:08 MDT

Miguel,

I recommend PDF or postscript format for publication quality graphics.
 Png, jpg, gif, and tiff are all raster graphics, which are made up of
color dots on a grid. You can increase the number of dots, but you will
still get rough edges. PDF and postscript use vector graphics, which means
that lines and curves can be drawn smoothly with infinite resolution on the
output page.

With PNG output, you can increase the number of dots using wkHeight and
wkWidth resources. This may be useful for some applications, including
medium-rez images on web pages. But it's not so good for journal
publication. Read about this in the description of PNG output on this page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/gsn_open_wks.shtml

Be careful with ImageMagick. It is good for manipulating raster graphics,
but it will rasterize any vector graphics (PDF and postscript) that you try
to process.

--Dave