Problem with wrf_cape2d and wrf_cape3d

From: Kelsey Mulder <kelsey.mulder_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Apr 25 2014 - 07:27:29 MDT

Hello,

We are using the wrf_cape3d function to calculate CAPE and CIN for real sounding data to conduct a sounding climatology. We have compared our results with the University of Wyoming soundings, which uses a similar procedure to calculate CAPE (using the temperature of a parcel from the lowest 500 m of the atmosphere, raised dry adiabatically to the LCL and moist adiabatically thereafter), however the wrf_cape3d procedure produces CAPE values an order of magnitude larger than the U Wyo CAPE values. We have used the exact sounding the U of Wyo have used and tried many other tests to get more reasonable results.

How can we access the code that is calculating wrf_cape3d?

A further problem, we are also calculating MUCAPE using wrf_cape2d and in many cases, the MUCAPE is lower than the surface based CAPE. Any ideas on this problem?

Kelsey Mulder

Co-Chair, AMS Student Conference Planning Committee

PhD Student, University of Manchester
School of Earth, Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences
Simon Building
Oxford Road
Manchester, M13 9PL
United Kingdom