Re: Warning:gsnXYFillOpacities seems doesn't work

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun May 04 2014 - 12:11:15 MDT

Bo,

There could be a couple of potential issues here.

First is that you have NCARG_ROOT pointing to an older location of NCL. Even though your “ncl -V” is echoing 6.2.0, it’s still possible for NCARG_ROOT to be pointing to a different location, so check this.

Second is that you didn’t indicate how you were trying to use this resource. It is only available for use with gsn_csm_xy, and if you have either gsnXYFillColors, gsnXYAboveFillColors, and/or gsnXYBelowFillColors set.

To try a test code, see newcolor_16.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/rgbacolor.shtml#ex16

You should be able to run this as is, because it doesn’t require any data files.

Finally, there’s a bug in the V6.2.0 version of this code that causes the gsnXYFIllOpactiies not to work if you only set gsnXYBelowFillColors. To fix this, you need to also set gsnXYAboveFillColors. You can set it to an array of the same size as gsnXYBelowFillColors, except set it to -1 or “transparent” so it doesn’t have any effect.

—Mary