fatal error: reading multi dimension data with one dimension fixed

From: Guangshan Chen <gchen9_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu May 08 2014 - 12:57:31 MDT

Dear NCL developers,

I just notice that there is an error message popped out when I read multi dimension data with one dimension fixed.

I could not remember it was shown in the old-version NCL.

Here is what I did:

Opening a file containing zonal wind and read zonal wind
uwind = file_in->U(:,2,:,:)

The following error will come out:
 Copyright (C) 1995-2014 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.2.0
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
fatal:Subscript out of range, error in subscript #0

But if you read the wind as this: uwind = file_in->U(:,:,:,:), there will be no error message.

However, even with the error message, it seems I still can get the wind at the level I want.

Any idea why this happens?

Thanks.

- Guangshan