Re: ESMF_RegridWeightGen not found

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jun 06 2014 - 11:26:33 MDT

On Jun 6, 2014, at 9:35 AM, Olaf Gellert <gellert@dkrz.de> wrote:

> Hi Mary, thanks for your answer!

Hi Olaf,

> =

> Mary Haley wrote:
>> ESMF_RegridWeightGen cannot be built with the 4.1.2 compilers, and that'=
s why it is missing.
> =

> interesting. Does that mean, the latest version of ESMF_RegridWeightGen
> cannot be built with 4.1.2 compilers (as it came with NCL 6.1.2 for CentO=
S5) or was that just build with a different gcc?

Sorry for the confusion. It means that the ESMF software, and hence ESMF_Re=
gridWeightGen, cannot be built with the GNU 4.1.2 compilers. ESMF is a sepa=
rate package that is developed outside of NCAR, and we don't have any contr=
ol over what compilers it can be built under.

When I build NCL with GNU 4.1.2 compilers, I don't copy over an ESMF_Regrid=
WeightGen built with a different compiler, because I can't assume that whoe=
ver is downloading NCL for a GNU 4.1.2 system will have access to these oth=
er compilers. And, in fact, you ran into this very problem by the GLIBCXX =
error message that you got.

> =

>> You could try downloading any one of the other LINUX binaries, and copy =
the
>> "ESMF_RegridWeightGen" from that "bin" directory to your own $NCARG_ROOT=
/bin directory.
> =

> well, using one of the LINUX binaries for SLES or Debian
> does not work (wrong version of GLIBCXX and GLIBC). Well,
> could I simply use the ESMF_RegridWeightGen that came
> with ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.Linux_RHEL5.6_x86_64_gcc412.tar.gz
> or are there any significant differences?

There probably won't be an ESMF_RegridWeightGen with that binary either, be=
cause again, this was built with GNU 4.1.2.

What you can do is try installing a newer version of the GNU compilers on y=
our system, but put them in a directory that won't overwrite your GNU 4.1.2=
 compilers. You may then need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to this =
directory every time you run ESMF_RegridWeightGen.

GNU 4.1.2 compilers are rather old, and we encourage people to upgrade. You=
 are going to find fewer applications that will be supported under this con=
figuration.

--Mary