large netcdf file/ failure copying attributes

From: Sam McClatchie (NOAA Federal) <sam.mcclatchie_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 10 2014 - 09:30:22 MDT

On 06/10/2014 07:50 AM, ncl-talk-request@ucar.edu wrote:

See the "Largefile" option:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/setfileoption.shtml
I wonder why you are using ncl to copy a file though? I would do this in
a SHELL script (e.g., bash), using cp to copy the file and NCO tools to
sub-set. It looks like you could even run NCO pointing to the file(s) on
the remote server and write to you local machine on the fly, and no need
to even copy?
Cheers,
Jatin.

Thanks Jatin, and yes, I agree with you. Copying the file with NCL is not=
 the correct way to do this. However, there seems to be something odd abo=
ut this thredds server, such that I cannot just download the remote file =
using wget or curl. Nor can I save out the binary from the thredds select=
 page (error: file too big). So I tried using NCO with opendap, but encou=
ntered an error on Ubuntu 14.04 that NCO could not link to the opendap li=
braries. I then removed NCO, and compiled it from source. Not finding an =
option in ./configure to set the location for opendap libraries, I just s=
et the $DODS_ROOT to the location of the *.so library file that was not f=
ound (it was in /usr/local/lib which was on the $PATH). Still no go. I th=
ink the cleanest solution will be to solve the NCO/ opendap library probl=
em and go that route. Apologies that this is not really an NCL question f=
or this list, but I appreciate your response nevertheless.

Sam

--
email signature Sam McClatchie,
Supervisory oceanographer,