Re: Using different projections with wrf_contour/wrf_map_overlays

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jul 21 2014 - 15:46:57 MDT

Hi Craig,

The wrf_map_overlays function is not meant to be used for any projection
other than the one provided on the WRF output file. That's why the first
argument to this function is the file id, because it reads the map
projection off the file, and sets this all internally.

If you want to plot WRF output data on a different map projection you will
need to:

1. Read the XLAT and XLONG arrays off the wrf output file and attach them
to your data variable as special "lat2d" and "lon2d" attributes.
2. Set the appropriate map resources for zooming in on the map yourself.
3. Use the gsn_csm_contour_map function to create the plot.

I've created a sample page showing how to do this using the 'HGT' variable
on a WRF output file. I like this variable because it's easy to tell if
the plot looks correct:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrfgsn.shtml

--Mary