different size netCDF files generated from NCL on different machines

From: Marcella, Marc <MMarcella_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jun 18 2014 - 14:45:58 MDT

Hi all,

I am finding a peculiar instance that when an identical netcdf file is writ=
ten via NCL (NetCDF 4 Classic, compression level 5,) on one machine the fil=
e is 5.6GB but on the other computer its size is 9GB. To the best of my kn=
owledge, the files are identical when opened (type, values, etc.) What is =
odder is that if I execute the NCL script (and ensure they are using the sa=
me version of NCL) from the command line instead of from the shell script, =
the file sizes are identical.

Are there certain checks I am missing that I should try? I believe both mac=
hines are using the same NetCDF libraries, but could that be the issue? An=
yhow, I am somewhat stumped and believe it must be a machine environment is=
sue difference when both machines execute the shell script that calls the N=
CL script to generate the netcdf. Any help you could lend would be greatly=
 appreciated...thanks!

-Marc