Re: Paneling plots

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jun 20 2014 - 14:20:17 MDT

For the record, I don't think the "plot_one_station" is a procedure that
somebody on the NCL team wrote, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.

The script is confusing because this procedure is being called three times,
but there's an "exit" call after each one. The NCL script is going to stop
after the first exit call, and not create the other two plots.

However, even if you didn't have those three exit calls, you are still not
going to get the results you want. You are creating and paneling only one
plot with each call to this procedure, and hence you will get three
individual plots on three different frames (pages).

This procedure is creating one plot but then trying to panel this one plot
as three plots, which makes no sense:

   if (.not.ismissing(plot(0))) then gsn_panel(wks,plot,(/3,1/),resP) end i=

I think what you want to do is have "plot_one_station" be a function and
not a procedure, and have it return the plot that's created. This will give
you three separate plots, and *then* you can can call gsn_panel with the
three plots you created.

I've modified your code, and added a "draw_panel_plots" procedure that does
just the gsn_panel call after all three plots are created. This is untested=
.

--Mary