Re: ESMF regrid problem

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jul 08 2014 - 16:01:59 MDT

Hi Will,

I had to do a little digging to see where we are with this issue (I have
filed a new ticket on this, NCL-1989).

In order to support large variables that are > 4 GB, you have to write them
to NetCDF-4 file (the pure one, not the classic one). This means that
ESMF_RegridWeightGen needs to be able to read these files.

It appears that the latest version of ESMF_RegridWeightGen (6.3.0r) does
not support this yet, and I have question into the developers about this.

It does appear that you can *write* the weights file that
ESMF_RegridWeightGen creates to a NetCDF-4 file, but this isn't going to
help you much.

Are your lat/lon dimensions causing you to have a variable that is > 4 GB,
or do you have other dimensions that are contributing to a large variable?

I recall having one user get around a similar problem by regridding subsets
of the variable and stitching them together later. His situation was a
little different because his variable was already naturally subsetted into
individual files.

If your grid isn't too irregular, then a step-by-step method like this
might work for you.

--Mary