Re: message warning check_for_y_lat_coord

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jul 07 2014 - 09:52:12 MDT

Hi,

I think you are almost there. The confusion seems to be with how to reorder
the various arrays.

First, are you sure "pr" is dimensioned time x lon x lat? I'm asking,
because this part seems wrong to me:

        pr!0="time" ; assign attributes
        pr!1="lon"
        pr!2="lat"

Normally, it would be:

        pr!0="time" ; assign attributes
        pr!1="lat"
        pr!2="lon"

But, are you sure you even need to do those assignments? When you read "pr"
off the file, it may already have named dimensions, and hence you shouldn't
have to do this yourself.

Right after this line:

        pr =a->pr

please add this line, and tell me what it reports:

   printVarSummary(pr)

Moving further down in your code, before you call escorc, you are
reordering the array to lon x lat x time, but I think you want lat x lon x
time:

        correl=escorc(wami,prT(lat|:,lon|:,time|:))

Your "correl" array should now be dimensioned lat x lon, which is the
correct order for plotting.

The rest of your code, then, is mostly correct. You want to be sure to set
up the "lat" and "lon" arrays with the correct names and units *before* you
assign them with the "&" operator:

        lon@long_name="longitude"
        lon@units="degrees_east"
        lat@long_name="latitude"
        lat@units="degrees_north"
        correl!0="lon"
        correl!1="lat"
        correl&lon=lon
        correl&lat=lat

--Mary

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Noelia otero <noeli1680@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately I still have the same problem
> with the coordinates and the code is not working....I can't figure out
> why.
> I think that it might be a problem with the coordinates in the correl:
>
> a =
> addfile("/home/nof/pruebas/ensem_means/pr_Amon_bcc-csm1-1_historical_ensmean_t42_westA_meanJAS.nc","r")
> b =
> addfile("/home/nof/pruebas/WAMI_CEOF/WAMI_Amon_bcc-csm1-1_historical_ensmean.nc","r")
>

> pr =a->pr
> wami =b->WAMI(:,0,0,0)
> lat = a->lat
> lon = a->lon
> ;*****Transpose the dimension to get the correlations
> prT = transpose(pr)
> prT!0="lon" ; assign attributes
> prT!1="lat"
> prT!2="time"
> ;copy_VarCoords(prT,correl) ; copy attributes from temp to pcp
>
> correl=escorc(wami,prT(lon|:,lat|:,time|:))
> correl!0="lon"
> lon@long_name="longitude"
> lon@units="degrees_east"
> correl&lon=lon
> correl!1="lat"
> lat@long_name="latitude"
> lat@units="degrees_north"
> correl&lat=lat
> ;printVarSummary(correl)
>
> When I do printVarSummary(correl) the values seem to me correct, but if I
> do:
> printVarSummary(correl&lat)
>
> ;********
> Variable: lat (coordinate)
> Type: double
> Total Size: 144 bytes
> 18 values
> Number of Dimensions: 1
> Dimensions and sizes: [lat | 18]
> Coordinates:
> Number Of Attributes: 4
> axis : Y
> units : degrees_north
> long_name : latitude
> standard_name : latitude
>
> Could it be the problem here? Any idea??
> Thanks again,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Noelia

> I think left most dimension of correl should be lat. Try correl(lat |:,
>> lon|:) in the plotting statement.
>> On Jul 3, 2014 11:08 PM, "Noelia otero" <noeli1680@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am looking for some support to fix the next problem. I have already
>>> read some posts concerning this message, but so far, I did not solve this
>>> (I am start learning the language).
>>>
>>> after running the script, this is the message:
>>>

>>> Variable: correl
>>> Type: float
>>> Total Size: 2016 bytes
>>> 504 values
>>> Number of Dimensions: 2
>>> Dimensions and sizes: [lon | 18] x [lat | 28]
>>> Coordinates:
>>> lon: [37.67308962904533..-9.767145559195573]
>>> lat: [-28.125..47.8125]
>>> Number Of Attributes: 1
>>> _FillValue : 1e+20
>>> (0) check_for_y_lat_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a
>>> valid latitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
>>> (0) A valid latitude coordinate array should have a 'units' attribute
>>> equal to one of the following values:
>>> (0) 'degrees_north' 'degrees-north' 'degree_north' 'degrees north'
>>> 'degrees_N' 'Degrees_north' 'degree_N' 'degreeN' 'degreesN' 'deg north'
>>> (0) check_for_lon_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a valid
>>> longitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
>>> (0) A valid longitude coordinate array should have a 'units' attribute
>>> equal to one of the following values:
>>> (0) 'degrees_east' 'degrees-east' 'degree_east' 'degrees east'
>>> 'degrees_E' 'Degrees_east' 'degree_E' 'degreeE' 'degreesE' 'deg east'
>>>
>>> And this is the code :
>>>
>>> ;*****************************************************************************
>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/shea_util.ncl"
>>>
>>> ;*******************************************************************************
>>> begin
>>>
>>> a =
>>> addfile("/home/nof/pruebas/ensem_means/pr_Amon_bcc-csm1-1_historical_ensmean_t42_westA_meanJAS.nc","r")
>>> b =
>>> addfile("/home/nof/pruebas/WAMI_CEOF/WAMI_Amon_bcc-csm1-1_historical_ensmean.nc","r")
>>>

>>> pr =a->pr
>>> wami =b->WAMI(:,0,0,0)
>>> lat = a->lat
>>> lon = a->lon
>>>
>>> pr!0="time" ; assign attributes
>>> pr!1="lon"
>>> pr!2="lat"
>>> wami!0="time"
>>> ;pr&lat=lat
>>> ;pr&lon=lon
>>> prT = transpose(pr)
>>> copy_VarCoords(pr,wami) ; copy attributes from temp to pcp
>>> correl=escorc(wami,prT(lon|:,lat|:,time|:))
>>> correl!1="lat"
>>> correl!0="lon"
>>> correl&lat=pr&lat
>>> correl&lon=pr&lon