two fold problem with runave_n and regline_stats

From: Michael Stone <mrstone_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 09 2014 - 15:45:33 MDT

Hi all,

I have a time series of data with some missing values that I'm using
runave_n to smooth and then fitting a regline to the smoothed data. I'm not
sure I understand how runave_n handles missing values but when I use
runave_n with increasing nave, the number of missing values in the data set
continually increases, this seems odd to me. I know my _FillValues are set
correctly as well. Is this intended behavior? If so, could someone maybe
explain why?

Finally, a part two to this question, when I feed the smoothed time series
into regline_stats after doing the running average, I found out that when
run_ave_n has filled the entire time series with missing values
regline_stats throws a very cryptic error. It says:

fatal:Subscript out of range, error in subscript #0
fatal:An error occurred reading

This is an odd way for the function to error handle that particular case
and thought I should mention it.

Relevant information:

NCL version: 6.2.0
Linux version: Linux 2.6.32-431.11.2.el6.i686 #1 SMP Mon Mar 3 13:33:00 EST
2014 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Attached you'll find my data file and a short script with the issue
outlined.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Stone (mrstone@colorado.edu)