flushing out buffer of output PS file, OLDPS vs PS

From: Arindam Chakraborty <arch13_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2014 - 05:44:18 MDT

Hi,
 I'm trying to convert a PS file generated within my code to EPS, from
within the NCL function. This is possible when I use OLDPS but not (New)
PS. A simple test says that with NewPS, the file is not written (populated
with data) until the NCL code exists. This is not true for OLDPS
workstation. In both cases, the PS file is of correct size/format once NCL
exists. Possibly the PS file is not FLUSHed until NCL exists! I'm not very
sure if this was discussed earlier. Below is the test code.

begin
 x=ispan(0,360,1)*1d0
 y=sin(x*3.14/180)

 wks = gsn_open_wks("oldps","test");
; wks = gsn_open_wks("ps","test");
 plt=gsn_csm_xy(wks,x,y,False)
 system("ls -l test.ps") ; file size 0 for PS and non-zero for OLDPS
; system("ps2eps test.ps") ; does not work for "PS" workstation
end

I'm using Ubuntu. NCL 6.2.0.

regards,
--