Re: flushing out buffer of output PS file, OLDPS vs PS

From: Arindam Chakraborty <arch13_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2014 - 08:22:18 MDT

Hi Kyle, Karin,
 Thanks for the delete(wks) solution. That fixes my problem. However, I
wanted to know why this behavior is different between the two workstation
versions.
 If I use eps, the figure is not "tight" bounded to the panel boundary.
Making a PDF directly from that EPS will keep white spaces around figure
panels.

arindam
--
*Arindam Chakraborty*
CAOS, IISc, Bangalore-12

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2@wisc.edu> wrote:

> Yes, I would certainly recommend that Arindam uses the EPS type directly.
> The flushing issue can be addressed via the 'delete' function regardless of
> the output format. Any calls to 'system' from within NCL can be a bit time
> consuming, especially when that functionality is already in NCL.
>

> Kyle

> Kyle S. Griffin
> Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
> University of Wisconsin - Madison
> Room 1421
> 1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
> Email: ksgriffin2@wisc.edu
>

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Karin Meier-Fleischer <
> meier-fleischer@dkrz.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kyle,
>>
>> why don't you use the "eps" or "oldeps" format directly? Then you don't
>> have to call ps2eps.
>>
>> wks = gsn_open_wks("eps","test")
>>
>> or
>>
>> wks = gsn_open_wks("oldeps","test")
>>
>> Bye,
>> Karin
>>

>> Am 23.07.2014 um 14:34 schrieb Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2@wisc.edu>:
>>
>> When you want the newer version of NCL to write the output to file, call
>> delete(wks), where wks is the name of the workstation associated with your
>> graphic. This is necessary regardless of the image type.
>>
>> Kyle
>> On Jul 23, 2014 7:44 AM, "Arindam Chakraborty" <arch13@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm trying to convert a PS file generated within my code to EPS, from
>>> within the NCL function. This is possible when I use OLDPS but not (New)
>>> PS. A simple test says that with NewPS, the file is not written (populated
>>> with data) until the NCL code exists. This is not true for OLDPS
>>> workstation. In both cases, the PS file is of correct size/format once NCL
>>> exists. Possibly the PS file is not FLUSHed until NCL exists! I'm not very
>>> sure if this was discussed earlier. Below is the test code.
>>>
>>> begin
>>> x=ispan(0,360,1)*1d0