Re: flushing out buffer of output PS file, OLDPS vs PS

From: Arindam Chakraborty <arch13_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2014 - 10:20:33 MDT

Rick,
 thanks for the explanation.

arindam
--
Arindam Chakraborty

On 23-Jul-2014, at 9:15 pm, Rick Brownrigg <brownrig@ucar.edu> wrote:

> Arindam,
>
> The behavior is different because the two workstation versions employ =
completely different PS/PDF implementations. The older version was a =
home grown implementation; the later version is based upon cairographics =
(cairographics.org), and as such, is somewhat of a black box in its =
behavioral nuances.

> Thanks Kyle and Karin for your posts to this thread!
>
> Rick
>

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2@wisc.edu> =
wrote:
> The delete(wks) necessity was added in 6.1.2.
>
> http://ncl.ucar.edu/prev_releases.shtml#6.1.2
>
> Such action was always recommended, but not required up until this =
6.1.1/6.1.2 version. Beyond that, I assume the developers could give you =
more info on the change. Because of this change, the "oldps" type was =
left to allow for backwards compatibility.

<arch13@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Kyle, Karin,
> Thanks for the delete(wks) solution. That fixes my problem. However, =
I wanted to know why this behavior is different between the two =
workstation versions.
> If I use eps, the figure is not "tight" bounded to the panel =
boundary. Making a PDF directly from that EPS will keep white spaces =
around figure panels.

> arindam
>
> --
> Arindam Chakraborty
> CAOS, IISc, Bangalore-12
>

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2@wisc.edu> =
wrote:
> Yes, I would certainly recommend that Arindam uses the EPS type =
directly. The flushing issue can be addressed via the 'delete' function =
regardless of the output format. Any calls to 'system' from within NCL =
can be a bit time consuming, especially when that functionality is =
already in NCL.

<meier-fleischer@dkrz.de> wrote:
> Hi Kyle,
>
> why don’t you use the “eps“ or "oldeps“ format directly? Then =
you don’t have to call ps2eps.

> wks = gsn_open_wks("eps","test“)
>
> or
>
> wks = gsn_open_wks("oldeps","test“)
>
> Bye,
> Karin
>

> Am 23.07.2014 um 14:34 schrieb Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2@wisc.edu>:
>
>> When you want the newer version of NCL to write the output to file, =
call delete(wks), where wks is the name of the workstation associated =
with your graphic. This is necessary regardless of the image type.
>> Kyle
>>
>> On Jul 23, 2014 7:44 AM, "Arindam Chakraborty" <arch13@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to convert a PS file generated within my code to EPS, =
from within the NCL function. This is possible when I use OLDPS but not =
(New) PS. A simple test says that with NewPS, the file is not written =
(populated with data) until the NCL code exists. This is not true for =
OLDPS workstation. In both cases, the PS file is of correct size/format =
once NCL exists. Possibly the PS file is not FLUSHed until NCL exists! =
I'm not very sure if this was discussed earlier. Below is the test code.