Re: 4.2.2 and NCL error

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 09:36:44 MST

    > We have both ncarg_4.1.1 and ncarg_4.2.2 installed.
    > We also have NCAR Command Language Version 4.2.0.a009
    > and
    > NCAR Command Language Version 4.2.0.a011
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jan

    Jan,

    There are two separate software packages that you can download, NCAR
    Graphics and NCL. ncarg_4.1.1 and ncarg_4.2.2 are NCAR Graphics only,
    and do not include NCL. This is stated in the second paragraph of the
    NCAR Graphics download page (http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ng4.2/download/).

    Thus, if you download NCAR Graphics, you won't get NCL, and vice
    versa. There *are* some files that are shared by the two packages,
    like fontcaps, graphcaps, and the mapping databases, but for the most
    part, these are two separate packages.

    I realize it's confusing to have an NCARG_ROOT environment variable
    that represents both packages. This is because we have shipped the
    two packages together in the past, and it was easier to have one
    environment variable that represented both.

    I recommend downloading the latest version of both packages (do NCAR
    Graphics first), and installing them under the same NCARG_ROOT parent
    directory. This way you can setenv NCARG_ROOT to one path, and be able
    to use both packages.

    It appears that you already have NCAR Graphics version 4.2.2
    installed, so you can just download the latest NCL (4.2.0.a013) and
    install it under the same root directory as 4.2.2.

    Meanwhile, we will be looking into making the separation between NCAR
    Graphics and NCL more distinct and less confusing!

    --Mary