Re: Bar Charts

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 11:35:11 MDT

    > Good morning!
    >
    > I wonder when the new gsn_csm.ncl and gsn_code.ncl files containing code =
    > supporting bar charts will be available? The sample code given uses =
    > gsn_*.ncl.test files, so I assume that my problems in creating bar =
    > charts stems from my lack of these new gsn_*.ncl files
    >
    > I was also wondering if it would be possible to enable users to color =
    > specific years of the bar charts? This would be extremely useful if one =
    > wanted to plot a precip series and shade certain years or months =
    > according to whether ENSO was positive, negative etc., or according to =
    > some pre-specified time index.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Maurice

    Dear Maurice,

    Although I don't normally recommend this, you can download the
    latest gsn_code.ncl and gsn_csm.ncl from:

      http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ug/ncl/gsun/scripts/gsn_code.ncl
      http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ug/ncl/gsun/scripts/gsn_csm.ncl

    These versions will become the default on the regular NCL download
    page soon.

    If I understand your request correctly, then we don't currently have
    that capability. You can only color the bars with one color above a
    certain reference line, and another color below the reference
    line. The only time you can use different colors for different bars is
    when you use gsn_histogram, and I don't think this is what you are
    talking about. Just in case, though, you can get more information on
    gsn_histogram at:

      http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/CSM_Graphics/histo.shtml

    For more information on bar charts, see:

     http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/CSM_Graphics/bar.shtml

    I will add your request to our NCL enhancement list, but I can't make any
    guarantees about when it will get added. It usually depends on how
    popular this request is, and whether we have the time to fit it in.

    Cheers,

    --Mary Haley
    haley@ucar.edu