Re: your mail

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 08:11:20 MST

    > Dear all users,
    >
    > I am a new learner of NCL. I have just learned to use NCL examples. I can
    > get the plot using "ng4ex gsun#n.ncl'. But when I plot it this way,
    >
    > type "ncl", then type "ncl < gsun#n.ncl",
    >
    > why does it warn me with
    >
    > "fatal:syntax error: line 5 before or near <"
    >
    > How can I use NCL in this way, i.e., the common commands to use NCL? What else
    > should I do?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Qiaozhen

    Dear Qiaozhen,

    The "#" symbol in the line:

       ng4ex gsun#n.ncl

    is just meant as a substitution for the numbers 01 through 11. Please
    try entering a number like "01", "02", "10", etc. For example:

       ng4ex gsun01n.ncl

    For more information on the GSUN examples, see:

       http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ug/ncl/gsun/examples.html

    I will make sure the documentation is made more clear about the "#"
    symbol substitution.

    Cheers,

    --Mary Haley
      haley@ucar.edu