Re: to calculate the average of variables only on land or for only a continet

From: Qiaozhen Mu (qiaozhen AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 15:11:46 MST

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your answer. I have that thought. But which function should I use?
wgt_areaave? It needs two arrays. But I think the mask for the land and ocean
isn't even. It can't be defined by two 1-dim arrays. Is there a function to
calculate the weighted average using a 2-dim array(mask)? I can't find such a
function. Thanks.

>Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:49:14 -0800 (PST)
>From: Joel Norris <jnorris@catalina.ucsd.edu>
>To: Qiaozhen Mu <qiaozhen@utig.ig.utexas.edu>
>cc: <ncl-talk@UCAR.EDU>
>Subject: Re: to calculate the average of variables only on land or for only a
continet

>Use mask to select land or ocean points. You'll need an array indicating
>which are which.
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to calculate the average of variables only on land or for only
>> continet? Thanks.
>>
>> The attribution of the variables is (time,lev,lat,lon).
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Qiaozhen
>>
>> ***************************************
>> *The University of Texas at Austin *
>> *Institute for Geophysics *
>> *4412 Spicewood Springs Rd., Bldg. 600*
>> *Austin, Texas 78759-8500 *
>> *phone:(512) 471-0462 *
>> ***************************************
>>

>--
>Joel Norris Assistant Professor of Climate and Atmospheric Sciences
>
>Scripps Institution of Oceanography email: jrnorris@ucsd.edu
>University of California, San Diego phone: (858) 822-4420
>9500 Gilman Drive DEPT 0224 fax: (858) 534-8561
>La Jolla, CA 92093-0224 http://meteora.ucsd.edu/~jnorris/
>
>Delivery Address: Scripps Institution of Oceanography
> 8810 Shellback Way
> Room 440, Nierenberg Hall
> La Jolla, CA 92037

Best regards,