Re: map projection labels

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 14:23:54 MDT

    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > I'm trying to display some contour data over a Mercator projection map.
    > I'm using gsn_csm_contour_map to do it. Everything looks fine except I
    > can't get the lat/lon labels to do what I want them to. I'm using
    > pmTickMarkDisplayMode = "Always" to get the tickmarks there in the first
    > place, which seems to be the only way of doing it using the gsn stuff.
    > My Lat goes from 30 to 50 deg and on the map the ticks go
    > 30,34,38,42,44,46,48,50. I'd like them all to be the same interval.
    > Also, I can't get minor tick marks to display. The page on the MapPlot
    > class isn't clear (to me) as to what MapPlot will and will not let you
    > control tick mark wise. Is there anyway I can control my tick marks on a
    > Mercator projection or am I living in Fantasy Land? Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Hauss Reinbold

    Dear Hauss,

    Normally you would set tickmark resources (those that start with "tm")
    to control the placement and labeling of the tickmarks. According to
    one of our developers, however, the MapPlot TickMark implementation
    disables a lot of regular TickMark resources, because it has to force
    all the TickMark mode resources to "Explicit" in order to do the
    irregular spacing required by many map projections. See:

      http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/hlu/obj/MapPlot.obj.html#TickMark.res

    for a list of all the TickMark resources that MapPlot takes control
    of.

    There are plans to eventually give the users more control over map
    tickmarks. We just wanted to get the map tickmarks out there so that
    people could use them in a basic way.

    The combination of using a Mercator projection and the particular map
    limits mentioned here are close enough to regular spacing that the
    elimination of some of the ticks and labels seems a little weird.
    This is something we're looking into.

    Minor tickmarks are not supported for MapPlot tickmarks yet. If there
    is enough demand, then we will move this higher on the priority list.