contouring algorithm

From: Hauss Reinbold (reinbold AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 18:48:55 MDT

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of replacing some GRADS (am I allowed to speak that
name here?) contour graphs with NCL versions because NCL is prettier. I
know GRADS uses a Cressman algorithm to contour data and I was wondering
if anyone knows how NCL does it. I've been comparing the two and the
results are similar but not the same (but very, very close). The only
thing is NCL will occasionally have contour lines that cross or spike
oddly and the same lines in grads won't cross (are instead concentric) and
never spike so oddly. Beyond that, it seems that contour lines by nature
shouldn't cross so maybe it's a quirk of the data combined with the
contouring algorithm. I guess my question on this is, is there another
contouring algorithm I can use with NCL or do you just have one set up?
Also, is there anything besides cnSmoothinOn I can set that will maybe get
rid of contour spikes and crossing lines? I'd like to keep my contour
interval and levels the same if I can. Sorry if this is all a bit
confused, it's easier to understand if you could see what I'm talking
about. As is, I keep waving my hands at the monitor trying to explain it.
Anyway, I'd be grateful for any help anyone can give me.

Hauss Reinbold