Re: Error: in polar stereographic map ice-thickness

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 09:11:35 MDT

    > Hi,
    > I am running "ice_1.nc" downloaded from:
    > http://www.ccsm.ucar.edu/support/CSM_Graphics/ice.shtml
    >
    > Platform : SunOS 5.8 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
    >
    > Trying to get the display of ice-thickness on polar
    > stereographic map, following error are coming and no
    > display.
    > ***********************************
    > Error from original code:
    >
    > fatal:Dimension (nlat) of (ice) does not have an
    > associated coordinate variable
    > fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 40
    >
    > ---- Line-40 is
    > plot=
    > gsn_csm_contour_map_polar(wks,ice({60.:90.},:),res)
    > ***********************************

    Hi Dipak,

    I downloaded this same example from the web and ran it, and it
    produced the plot shown on the web site, so there's no problem with
    the original script.

    I assume you replaced the data file
    "/wp/cgd/murphys/Data/ICE/ice001608.nc" with one of your own? The
    reason I ask is that the error messages you are getting indicate that
    the ice data you are plotting does not have any coordinate arrays.

    I'm not sure how much you know about coordinate arrays, but in order
    to subscript the data with lat/lon values instead of index values
    (i.e. with something like ice({60.:90.},:)), the "ice" variable needs
    to have latitude/longitude coordinate arrays. Also, coordinate arrays
    are needed in general when using the gsn_csm* routines.

    You can determine if your data contains coordinate arrays by printing
    out your variable with:

       printVarSummary(ice)

    This will produce output that looks like this:

        Variable: ice
        Type: float
        Total Size: 49800 bytes
                    12450 values
        Number of Dimensions: 2
        Dimensions and sizes: [hlat | 83] x [hlon | 150]
        Coordinates:
                    hlat: [-79.12833..90]
                    hlon: [1.2..358.8]
        Number Of Attributes: 5
          _FillValue : -999
          missing_value : 1e+36
          long_name : ice thickness
          units : m
          time : 6052

    Note that in the output above, it indicates "hlat" and "hlon" are
    coordinate arrays.

    Please add latitude and longitude coordinate arrays to your data, and
    then try re-running your script.

    To see what's required in order to use the gsn_csm interfaces, see:

    http://www.ccsm.ucar.edu/csm/support/CSM_Graphics/Tutorial/tut_1.shtml#expect

    For more information on what some of the error messages you received
    mean, please see:

    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/CSM_Graphics/debug.shtml

    If you still are not sure how to set up coordinate arrays, then email
    me personally at haley@ucar.edu.

    --Mary