Re: Converting Time in NetCDF Reanalysis

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 16:55:36 MST

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm struggling to convert time obtained from NetCDF Reanalysis data.
    > Output from the time variable looks like this:
    >
    > Variable: time (coordinate)
    > Type: double
    > Total Size: 40 bytes
    > 5 values
    > Number of Dimensions: 1
    > Dimensions and sizes: [time | 5]
    > Coordinates:
    > Number Of Attributes: 4
    > units : hours since 1-1-1 00:00:0.0
    > long_name : Time
    > actual_range : <ARRAY>
    > delta_t : 0000-00-00 06:00:00
    > (0) 17544792
    > (1) 17544798
    > (2) 17544804
    > (3) 17544810
    > (4) 17544816
    >
    > How should I make this conversion so that I can plot correct time stamps
    > in an animation of images?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul Nutter

    Hi Paul,

    We've added a "udunits" type function to NCL that takes as input a
    unit of time of the form like you mentioned above: "hours since 1-1-1
    00:00:0.0", along with the actual double precision values that
    represent the "hours since", and it returns a 6 x n array (6 x 5 in
    your case) that contains the years, months, days, hours, minutes, and
    seconds.

    We haven't customized this function much beyond returning this 6 x n
    array, although eventually we might add the capability to have this
    info returned in a nice string format, like:

        "2001080100"
        "2001080106"
        "2001080112"

    where the last two digits represent the hour. This type of string
    could then be used as a time stamp, like you mentioned.

    If you are interested in testing this function as it is, let me know
    what kind of system you have, and I'll provide an NCL binary for you
    to try. Also, let me know what kind of time stamp you are interested
    in, and I'll write an NCL script that shows how to do this.