Re: Is there Kolmogorov-Smirnov Test or Kuiper's Test in NCL?

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT XXXXXX)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 20:18:51 MST

>I want do use ncl to do Kolmogorov-Smirnov Test or
>Kuiper's Test, but I couldn't find these build-in test
>functions, so I doubt whether there are these build-in
>functions. Can anybody tell me? Thank you.

Currently, NCL does not have a Kolmogorov-Smirnov Test (KST).

As noted in Numerical Recipes( NR): The accepted test for differences
between binned distributions is the chi-square test. For continuous
data as a dunction of a single variable, the mos generally
accepted test is the Kolmogorov-Smirnov Test.

We can not include the NR codes for the KST
due to copyright reasons. However, if you have
the book you can use the codes as a shared object.

We will look into including a KST in a future release.

---

For the record, NCL does have some chi-square related functions:

cdfchi_p, cdfchi_x: http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/ncl/functions/cdfchi.html

chiinv: http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/ncl/functions/chiinv.html

random_chi: http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/ncl/functions/random.html