Re: Grib to netCDF conversion

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 14:53:06 MDT

    > Hi,
    >
    > The lab that I work in has a script using NCL code for making netCDF
    > files from values in ETA Model grib files. The netCDF files produced
    > have some incorrect metadata, such as listing the resolution as 40 km
    > when it should be 12 km. It seems that the script gets this incorrect
    > information from a look up table packaged with NCL. Where is this look
    > up table? How can I correct this? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Zack

    GRIB reader in NCL has been updated using the currently documented
    values at:

         http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/

    with the exception that model index 84 was changed from "MESO ETA
    Model (currently 12 km)" to simply "MESO ETA Model", because we
    believe the same index has been used historically for a number of
    different model resolutions. Model indexes 83 and 85 are changed from
    "No longer used" to what they were previously: "ETA Model - 80 km
    version" and "ETA Model - 30 km version", on the assumption that any
    GRIB file with these model indexes would be an old one.

    We will be happy to provide a beta version of NCL to anybody who wants
    to test out this change. Just let me know what kind of system you
    have.

    Also, comments are welcome on this change!

    Cheers,