Re: landscape plots

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 08:55:06 MDT

    > Hi again:
    >
    > I've been getting landscape plots by doing
    >
    > wks_type = "ps"
    > wks_type@wkOrientation = "landscape"
    > wks = gsn_open_wks(wks_type,"test")
    >
    > This works fine, but I'm wondering why putting
    >
    > *wkOrientation : landscape
    >
    > in test.res and using
    >
    > wks = gsn_open_wks("ps","test")
    >
    > doesn't do the same thing.
    >
    > -Jeff

    Hi Jeff,

    Are you setting gsnMaximize to True? If so, it will redetermine the
    orientation based on the shape of your plot. If the plot is wider
    than it is high, then it will go into portrait mode. NCL has no way of
    knowing when you've explicitly set resources in a resource file, and
    so gsnMaxmize will go ahead and recalculate the orientation.