Re: reof

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 17:19:10 MDT

    >I was wondering if anyone knew how to perform a rotated eof for SSTs.
    >The first issue is how to treat the missing values over the land, since
    >the varimax function in NCL doesn't allow for missing values.
    >Second, how do you obtain the % variance of each eof mode after
    >rotation? Thanks.

    The public domain code used by NCL is directly from:

    c Orthogonal Rotation according to varimax criteria.
    c D.J. Veldman
    c Fortran Programming for the Behavioral Sciences
    c Holt, Rinehart, Winston, 1967
    c pp 214-215

    I used this for some personal stuff. I was asked to include it
    NCL. I had some reservations because it was not consistent with
    other EOF routines in NCL ...ie: it did not allow missing values
    and it did not recompute the %variance. The original requestor
    stated that all he wanted was to see if the patterns were
    altered in any significant fashion. After, including
    it there have been several requests for (1) calculating
    the % variance explained and (2) for it to allow missing
    values. **I will send this fortran code (which has many f66-isms)
    in it if anybody wants to look at it.** Maybe, an eager
    user can alter the code to address both short comings. :-)

    Alternatively, if someone has a well-written code
    [fortran or C] that rotation, allows missing values and computes
    percent variance, I'll work with you to include
    it in NCL.

    Dennis Shea